As some of you might be aware, I 'hang out' on SEO, online marketing and info architecture forums.
The other day we were having a debate that was spawned by me mentioning www.analiensguide.co.uk (which we nearly registered for a project, but looked a little too close to 'Anal Ian's Guide' and may have caused filtering problems with schools etc.
We rationalised, essentially, that people don't spend long enough thinking about their domain names (and getting them keyword rich). We then collated, to our mutual horror, the following. Click through, they're for real:
- Looking for a pen? - look no further than 'Pen Island': www.penisland.net (how do you not notice something like that?)
- Need a therapy? You will do. Believe it or not, I was actually personally asked by a client to put this one on their links pages - try: www.therapistfinder.com - naturally, I thought they were 'avin' a larf...
- Who Represents? - a database of celebrity representation and agencies for the rich and infamous: www.whorepresents.com (nice)
- Need a boost? - how's about: the Italian Power company: www.powergenitalia.com (admittedly, at least there's possibly a language issue here)
- Experts Exchange - a knowledge base and forum where programmers can exchange advice and views: www.expertsexchange.com
- and, finally (my favourite) - we have the Mole Station Native Nursery, based in New South Wales: www.molestationnursery.com (priceless).
Does anyone know of any more? Mail me or add a comment. I can see this making it into an instructional marketing PowerPoint...