Wednesday, April 02, 2008

Acceptable Whoers

I think this says a lot about the current state of Whoisum in the UK (and nay, the general quality of broadcasting if the current Who is what 'bobs' to the surface) when our local paper now has a running Dr Who Blog, c/o our friendly neighborhood Whoovia, 'The Watcher'. Obviously, this is one of our newspapers that's sponsoring this, and my hat's is uncharacteristically (and unsceptically) doffed in their direction. It's this very act of acceptability that's the crux of the first post, and 'Watcher' has a damn good point in his opening statements:

"There were no ‘watercooler moments’ in – I pluck a date from the ether – 1987, for example... ...ask a colleague back then what they thought of Delta and the Bannermen last night and they’d reply: “I think you ought to kill yourself.” Nowadays men, women - adults - wax about the way David Tennant puts his glasses on. But be assured, when it came to seventh Doctor’s spoons, it was no dice, conversation-wise."

This new Doctor Who blog and a major local newspapers social acceptance of the subject matter (all be it to bring in click-throughs of some sort, unquestionably) being proof in point.

Okay, for me I had some grey Who years. Watcher, bless him, clearly didn't. And while I may have the encyclopedic knowledge of certain eras that made other geeks frown, I was so busy taking narcotics, making movies, having sex, and getting a life between 1983 and 2005 that I didn't give a shit anyway. Hmmm, save possibly for the occasional bit of Perpugilliam Brown, Silver Nemesis, and the brief wank-fest of a steam-punk TARDIS in
1996. I was busy growing up. Each Dr. had his time and this is The Year(s) of the Rodent. Let's never forget that our Tom was once a god in this county and could do (virtually) no wrong. I was having a life and all TV took second place, this from a bloke that makes my living out of Who props in SL. To be fair, even now, striking up a conversation about this void in televisual sci-fi entertainment history will, in most circles, still get the piss most heartily ripped. Yes, Who is now socially acceptable, but only 'fashionable' and 'cool Who'. Personally, there was only 1 Baker, no Langford, and Bertie Basset never happened.

I'll keep an eye on this. It's got promise, it's got an RSS, and I haven't stalked another blog for a while. I wonder if he, FoxyTallChick, and Daz would be interested in doing a diagnostic Podcast after the shows? I'll be checking back on him after Saturdays diet-pill effort (a Tate-a-Tate, so to speak, if I haven't committed ritual supuku with a Freeview aerial).

Oh, an' Watcher, if ya read this, I'm gagging for the big fuck-off fleets of the
Rutan Host laying into Sontaran Battle Cruises too, but Steven Moffat isn't writing it and Russell T will shaft it up for the old fanbase somehow (insert purile probic vent joke here).

Post a Comment